Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 4...A Taste of Summer

 Day 4
Ahhh, the sounds of "pinging" lids after canning is complete. The assurance you need that your jars are sealed as they should be...I love that sound! But then there's also the sound that is only made when that seal is broken and you open that jar to enjoy the fruits of your labor in the middle of Winter! The "taste of Summer", as my husband refers to every jar of canned goods on our basement shelf! He is so right! There's nothing more delicious!
I hope his Grandma is proud as she gazes down on those jars. Every year as we work together, prepping for canning, ever so attractive donning our "do-rags" (our version of a hair net),  he tells me stories of how he learned to garden with his Grandma and all that she taught him.  It's one of my favorite times we share together and I'm sure she is with us...:) ! 

2 comments:

  1. I miss canning, especially tomatoes. They are so pretty in their jars, like big fat jewels. I used to can a lot: potatoes, pears, apples, peaches, green beans. And then the freezing. A lot of work, but a labor of love. These days it's hard to find a place where you buy a bushel of tomatoes at a time. Thanks for posting this photo. A wonderful reminder of days gone by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norine, Wow, you are sooo right... "Big fat jewels", what a perfect description, I love it!!! We do love to can but mostly just tomato juice, salsa and bread and butter pickles.My family loves dill pickles but I have better luck with old fashioned quick, countertop dill pickles than I do canning them. Sometimes I can pear honey, corn relish and jalapeno jelly but not every year. It just depends on my supply! My husband loves to garden and we do have quite a few tomato plants but we have found a wonderful farmer at Liberty market that supplements our tomato needs! His boxes of what he considers to be "canners" are some of the most delicious, perfect tomatoes I've ever had! We are glad we found him!
      I'm really enjoying the daily photo challenge so far! Just hoping I still feel this way in a couple of months (or a couple of weeks, lol)...Have a great day!

      Delete