Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day 3...The Quilt

 Day 3
This may not appear to be a story about my momma, but it is...It was a year ago last month, in December of 2010 that my mom went to live in a nursing home. It was the hardest week of her life as it was for our entire family, but especially her. My mom had been in the hospital due to increased physical weakness, spent time in rehab and finally it was determined that she really couldn't live on her own any longer. Tragically, the same week while my mom was still in rehab, my oldest brother took his own life. Within a three day period of time she lost a child and moved into a nursing facility all the while knowing and fully understanding that she truly could no longer live on her own and that she'd lost her first born baby. Through her grief she still remained the strongest person I know and continually worried and showed concern for the rest of us.
Surprisingly, through all of this sadness and change she adjusted very well to her new living conditions. It was truly a blessing from God Himself. She quickly grew attached to the staff, adjusted well to living at Evergreen and loved the fact that her room was painted purple (lavender.) This may seem so insignificant but believe me, during that time we held tightly onto any and everything that made her happy....then they approached us and wanted to move her to another room...
We, as a family, along with my mom agreed to this. It was a big deal by the facilities standards to not change a residents room as it is considered their home. The only thing she asked for was for her new room to be painted purple also. It was promised to be done. During the next several months, nine to be exact, we asked at different times about it and all the while Mom never complained. Usually I was the one asking her if they'd told her when they were going to paint...Finally, after some staff changes and a random conversation with one of her caregivers, suddenly her new room was now Lavender also and Mom loved it! She immediately mentioned to me that she needed a new comforter or bedspread that would look pretty with the wall color and wanted me to shop for one for her.
After the room was painted it was nearly time to be thinking about the holidays, etc and it occurred to me that I could make her a quilt! So now, holidays behind us, here I am, the fabric is finally cut and ready to sew. Lots of love is going into this quilt filled with floral fabrics, tea cups, china and shades of Lavender...all things that she loves...I will post a photo when it is complete and another of my mom with her quilt on the day I give it to her!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I wish I were smart enough to make a quilt for my Mom. She loves quilts, but hers are all small. My Mom is in a nursing home too, and I would like to be able to do something like this for her. Maybe I should just try to make one. I'll have to think about this more.

    ReplyDelete