Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 151...My Little Town

Day 151
Today I chose to walk away from the housework and all other duties needing to be done 
just to go out, wander around my town and try to capture some nice shots of 
Liberty, MO...my home! 
And one I really love, at that!
Initially I was only going to drive down to the square which had been suggested to me by my sister in law, Julie, as a unique location...But as much as I like our town square, it's just hard for me to "feel" the photo ops there with all the cars parked everywhere and for me, some of the buildings aren't really so attractive. But then again, I need to develop those skills of being better able to "see" the possibilities. That's not my forte but I do believe it can be learned or at the very least honed to the best of my ability! I was planning on just driving through the square to see if something caught my eye and then moving on to who knows where but then I remembered what I was told just not too long ago...
...A photography teacher  told me that I was "very technical and thought I didn't have that "artistic vision" because when it came to my line of artistic work as a hairstylist, there was no room for error...you have to get it right or you won't have clients coming back....(very true words)...he then went on to say that with photography, I had a memory card in my digital camera that required no financial investment in hard copy prints or loss, other than my time, so just go out and shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot some more...Erase the card and shoot some more, if you have to, he said...You can't just keep re-doing someones hair, over and over and over and over if you don't get it right the first time but you can with photography and you will develop your skills."
That made me feel so much better about learning photography...There was a time when as much as I loved it, I wasn't sure I could be good at it. Or at least what I think of as "good"...but he gave me the confidence to keep trying and the belief that it can be learned and honed...it helps, but not everyone can be a "natural"...
Today held more learning for me! I wish I could say it was a total success of a photography day out but first, shooting in the mid day, bright sun isn't easy and I forgot one very elementary tool that I own and normally always have on my lens....the lens hood... :/ Not only did I forget it but I just flat out didn't think to put it on...it was in the car in my camera bag the whole time...I sure remembered it when I uploaded the shots to my computer and saw the lens flares and glare on some of my photos...
Errrrr, another lesson learned...
I ended up staying right here in Liberty for my photos today but ventured off the square and into some of the historical, quaint parts of my little town...the photos for today are plentiful, (along with the blogging, I know) and all in all it was a good day for me! I met a lady named Lori who allowed me to photograph her beautiful home, had a really fun visit with her, enjoyed my time out and about immensely and learned some photography lessons as well...
I didn't get the perfect photos I wanted but hey...I learned something!!!
It's all good, after all... :)

 walking down Kansas Street

so many quaint, beautifully restored homes to look at and photograph
but I loved this one most...
I felt the owner had added all the right touches...I loved it! 


 above and below, a couple of different editing choices...
I liked the originals as well so I decided to include them all in my blog today!


 Potting shed or outdoor party bar??? I vote BOTH!!! Found this on a side street!

 On the square!



 Church and another flower lined sidewalk on Kansas Street. so pretty!

1 comment:

  1. You have some very good photos, Gayle; and I think you had an enjoyable time doing what you like to do!

    ReplyDelete