Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 18...The Pan and the Marshmallows

 Day 18
Once again I'm singin' the song...♪ It's a Marshmallow World at the Kane House ♪ ... and it's not even Christmas nor is there any snow tumblin' down...:)
Valentines Day is almost here and marshmallow orders are coming in.  So this evening, after the grandbabies had gone home, dinner was over, and the kitchen was clean, it was time to get started! But... Oh crap!...I didn't have a photo taken yet! Well, it didn't take me but a second to think it over and I knew what my photo of the day would be...the marshmallow makin' process, a part of it anyway... Photo #1 is how it all begins and I don't mean just cooking the ingredients...It's my pan!!!  I couldn't do it without my pan. Well, ok, maybe I could, but I don't want to, and hope I never have to go on a search for a replacement pan...that would be a sad shopping trip for me. One of the many things my momma taught me (along with how to make marshmallows) is the importance of a "good, heavy, candy makin' pan"...Now this particular pan hasn't always been "my pan"...this was a treasure that my hubby brought into our marriage...:) I had a decent pan before but this one is much, much better (as many older model type items are...like ME!) I tease him all the time that I married him for the pan and his baked bean recipe...lol...
(ah ha, the beans...another photo idea down the road)...anyway, seriously, this is THE BEST heavy duty saucepan I've ever come across and my mom was right! You need a good pan for candy making...one with even heating, a good solid handle to hold onto, fairly straight sides for your thermometer...this one has it all...sometimes the small things really are very important and enough to be excited about... like my pan!!!
































Now here's the pretty part! All that marshmallow fluff just getting fluffier by the minute...Mmmm! This is a job that cannot be done without a stand mixer...let it be known that this is my official "don't try this at home without a stand mixer" disclaimer...:)  the hot boiling candy liquid that goes into the mixer splatters EVERYWHERE...(I cover my mixer with a cotton T-towel)...You wouldn't want to be holding a hand mixer when that happens...YIKES and OUCH! Thank goodness I never tried that...(had my momma to teach me that little tidbit of common sense also) ...:)
The really yummy, ready to eat, end result comes about 12 hours after this shot when "wha-la" you have marshmallows!
Hmmm, maybe my photo of the day tomorrow? I think so.

1 comment:

  1. looks good enough to eat right now. i just need two oatmeal cookies and your fluffy marshmallow mixture! :)

    ReplyDelete