Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 41... Home Sweet Home?

Day 41
I love really old homes.
Even ones is such a sad state of deterioration. I always feel drawn to them....
Like they're beckoning to me..
I wish I knew the history of this old  house...One thing I do know, it's not a very inviting place. In fact, it reminds me of the "mean old neighbor lady" that chases little children out of her yard.
But I still like it!
I'm sure it was a beautiful home in it's day.
I didn't see one single "No Trespassing" sign so there was no hesitation on my part to climb on over the chain draped across the drive entrance. A No Trespassing sign probably isn't needed much around this place, in my opinion anyway. Just driving past the house you can feel the staring eyes of long ago peering out the windows at  passers by...no matter which way you look at it, I feel a sense of "I dare you to come closer."
Although I climbed over the chain I went no closer than my viewpoint in this photo.
Shortly after moving up North, while taking an evening walk, my husband and I did walk all around the house...I truly felt as if I was being watched...I've not been back on the property until today.
From what I hear, the house is supposedly going to be renovated but in the six years I've lived here, I've not seen any signs of it.
Stranger yet is through the Christmas season, whoever the owner is, they always put up a lit Christmas tree in one of the front windows...can you say EERIE...a 100 year old (I'd guess),vacant, abandoned, house with a lit Christmas tree in the window..a broken out window, at that!
Screams eerie if you ask me!
But, as strange as the lit Christmas tree is,  I think it's just as much the tree outside the house that gives the old place it's haunted feel!
I LOVE this big, old, gnarly tree!!!






3 comments:

  1. Cool photo! I too love old houses Gayle. "If walls could talk" would love to hear the history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohh, that Chrismas Tree is too scary. But, I too, love old houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like old houses, but I would want to know the history of an old house before purchasing and renovating. I may be crazy, but I feel that bad things, or misfortune can smother a place and be a problem for subsequent owners, even if it is all psychological. If something doesn't feel right, you won't be happy in the place. I find I like the look of this place. I bet it would be lovely all bright and shining again. Ahhh, to be young and full of vigor and able to embark on a project like this. I would have loved being able to do it in my earlier life! :)

    ReplyDelete